Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member Lansing4412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2016
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3


  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    Very interesting! I always enjoy the projects that these guys undertake, and they always strive to keep their text understandable even for illiterates like me!

    Thanks for posting the link.

    GeeDeeEmm

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    Just off the top of my head, when they take a high efficiency speaker, and design it for more power handling capability, it is, IMHO, almost invariably a degrade in SQ ( That is GM-talk for sound quality :-) ) .

    Its quantity over quality !!

    No thanks, "you can have her, I don't want her, shes too fat for me."

    Have fun, I am building that Type 46 SET amp, ( I had asked about, up here, a couple months ago ), for a friend's new Valencia system. Will post on it, as I get more DIY work done. Two stage, 3AV6 direct coupled into a Type 46, a SET.

    Low Ohms.....Jeff Medwin

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    Its good to see so much interest in vintage Altecs. I think a lot of people who haven't heard them don't know how special they really are. You guys are doing a great job with the reviews

    In response to the high power comment, I want to feel the music and be a part of it. I can't do that with 3 tube watts. Give me SS 300wpc mosfet power any day over a tube amp

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    Sonic Barbarian

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member Lansing4412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2016
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    All of the speaker projects from NGAS are a part of a hobby that's intended to be both fun and informative. We publish them because we hope others will enjoy tinkering around with this equipment as much as we do. Let's try not to take any of this too seriously.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    I enjoy reading about the NGAS projects. Keep posting.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  8. #8
    Hostboard Member Lansing4412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2016
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    I should also point out that NGAS has all of its speaker systems setup like studio monitors. They are at least 24" from the rear wall, and 36" from the side walls. They are raised on platforms so that the HF driver is at, or just above, ear level.

    If your speakers are sitting on the floor or near walls, it may be difficult to reproduce our results.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member LOUDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2010
    Posts
    193
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    4412-thanks for responding. I just wondered if you had tried the 931 after hearing it with the model 14's you refurbished. I have always liked the 931 and had wished altec would've made a larger version. (mr94-8) But for the smaller driver. I swear way back in my memory the was a advertising picture of the model 19 with a mantery horn. If i'm sucessful in making a larger 931 that will fit in a 811 cut out ,the ngas will be the first ones to get one provided you have a set of 19's to swap them in to. I'd be curios as to your listening impressions. My front three are 828 cabs with mr564 left and right with a mr5120 for center. I might get the asd's hooked up this weekend provided the weather stays crappy.

  10. #10
    Hostboard Member Lansing4412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2016
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Altec-Lansing Model 19-MR3

    NGAS is always looking for a new and interesting project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.